Cosmetic, Plastic, Body Surgery After Extreme Significant Weight Loss
Cosmetic, Plastic, Body Surgery After Extreme Significant Weight Loss In Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec.
WHY BODY CONTOURING SURGERY AFTER SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS?
Losing a significant amount of weight is a considerable achievement. Your body is healthier and many of the comorbid diseases related to obesity such as diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol are cured by your weight loss. Congratulation! However, massive weight loss causes excess skin in the face, breasts, abdomen, arms and legs. Despite all the exercises, the skin never re-drape to the new thinner body due to loss of its elasticity that was caused by the Obesity. Dr. Doumit, best plastic surgeon, has been performing body contouring for many years with phenomenal aesthetic results. Patients with excess skin around their abdomen, arms, thighs, breasts and face are great candidate for body contouring surgery such as abdominoplasty (also known as tummy tuck), body lift, arms lift, thighs lift, mastopexy (also known as breast lift) and face lift. Dr. Doumit will work with each patient post massive weight loss to determine the best way to achieve their goals.
Dr Doumit est un chirurgien exceptionnel. J'ai subi d'abord une abdominoplastie ainsi qu'un redrapage et une augmentation mammaire avec Dr Doumit en avril 2015. Tout le processus, que ce soit la première rencontre d'information, aux suivis pré-opératoire, à la chirurgie même et aux nombreux suivis post-opératoire Dr Doumit a été disponible, patient, présent au devant des questions mais surtout d'un professionnalisme exemplaire. En tout temps je me suis sentie entre de bonnes mains avec une équipe extrêmement compétente et un leader comme Dr Doumit dont le talent n'est plus à prouver. Les résultats de cette chirurgie sont impressionnants, très impressionnant. Ce qui m'a décidé alors à avoir en juillet 2015 un lifting des bras et des cuisses. Encore une fois sous les bons soins de Dr Doumit je me suis sentie prise en charge. J'ai sentie qu'on écoutais mes besoins, qu'il comprenait le resultat que je souhaitais. Il m'a parfaitement conseillé car il est soucieux et minutieux du résultat et de son travail. Dr Doumit est disponible et il va toujours prendre le temps qu'il faut afin de répondre à toutes nos questions et rassurer nos inquiétudes (chose que je n'ai pas vraiment eu car je me suis très rapidement sentie en confiance.) Après 2 importantes chirurgies je recommende Dr Doumit sans aucune hésitation. Vous serez assurément satisfait de son travail et de ses services, il n'y a là absolument aucun doute.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR BODY CONTORUING SURGERY AFTER MASSIVE WEIGHT LOSS?
The most successful outcomes from body contouring surgery when these key criteria are met:
· Weight trend: Has your weight remained stable for at least a six months, with no further weight loss expected?
· Overall good health: Are you in overall good health? Do you have any chronic medical condition (such as diabetes or heart disease)? People in poor health are not good candidates for body contouring procedure. It is highly recommended to consult a doctor to carefully assess your health before proceeding with surgery.
· Nutrition: Do you have an overall healthy diet? Problems such as vitamin or protein deficiencies might compromise optimal healing after surgery.
· Smoking history: Did you smoke in the past six weeks? If so, you will be instructed to quit smoking for this period of time prior to surgery as smoking slows down the healing process and increases the risk of serious complications during and after surgery.
· Individuals with a positive outlook on life and realistic expectations of what the body contouring procedure can accomplish for them are usually good candidates for body contouring procedures.
The best way to assess if you are a candidate for surgery after significant weight loss is to discuss your situation with Dr. Doumit at the Centre de Chirurgie Plastique et Esthetique de Montréal.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR A BODY CONTOURING SURGERY AFTER SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS?
Best preparation for your plastic surgery after significant weight loss procedure includes discussing with Dr. Doumit important questions about your expectations and current health. Dr. Doumit will evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions. Dr. Doumit will offer you a pragmatic and honest opinion about what is best for you.
To ensure the best results of body contouring after significant weight loss, be prepared to discuss:
· Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
· Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
· Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
· Previous surgeries.
Dr. Doumit may also:
· Talk about your options for different body contouring procedures available to you and propose a treatment strategy.
- Assess degree of skin laxity and evaluate muscle tone.
· Record your measurements in detail
· Evaluate your general health and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
· Take pictures for your medical record
· Discuss expected results of a surgery after significant weight loss procedure and potential risk factors and complications of the procedure.
HOW IS BODY CONTORUING SURGERY PERFORMED AFTER MASSIVE WEIGHT LOSS?
There are a variety of body contouring surgeries that treat different body deformities. Dr. Doumit, best plastic surgeon in Montreal, will work with you to assess and identify those problematic body areas that have been affected by significant weight loss and that are most bothersome to you.
The following areas are those most commonly affected by significant weight loss and treated by surgical intervention:
· Abdomen: Also known as a “tummy tuck,” an abdominoplasty involves removing surplus skin around the abdominal area and tightening the underlying abdominal muscles. An incision is made just above the pelvic region from hip to hip. The incision extends to the back to lift the buttock (belt lipectomy, circumferential abdominoplasty) when necessary. If there is a severe skin laxity, a Fleur De Lys abdominoplasty is performed by making a vertical incision along the midline of the abdomen
A panniculectomy is the removal of an “apron” of excess skin and tissue overhanging below the belly button. The tightening of the abdominal muscles or extending the incision to the back is not performed during this surgery.
On certain occasions, an abdominal hernia is found. Hernias under a certain size can be repaired during the same procedure as that removing the excess abdominal skin.
· Buttocks/upper thighs: A belt lipectomy or lower body lift is a procedure in which skin is removed, lifting the lateral thighs and buttocks. This procedure is usually performed during or after an abdominal procedure. The incision is habitually made just above the buttock crease, extending in the belt area in the upper hips, and continues to join the abdominoplasty incision. Excess skin is removed, lifting the buttock, lateral thighs and tightening the abdomen.
· Thighs: Also known as medial thigh lift, this procedure removes excess skin from the upper leg through an incision along the inner thigh starting at the groin and extending as far as the knee.
· Breasts: Various procedures exist for breasts, including breast lift, breast lift with augmentation, and breast reduction. Excess skin is usually removed through an upright incision along the middle of the breast, known as vertical mastopexy. Occasionally, an additional horizontal incision underneath the breast is needed in the shape of an inverted “T”, hence an inverted mastopexy.
· Arms: During a brachioplasty, also known as arm lift, excess skin is removed from the arms. An incision ranges from the armpit up to the elbow. Sometimes, this procedure can be accompanied with a breast procedure.
· Face and neck: In a face and neck procedure, excess skin is removed from the face and neck area. This procedure is similar to the usual facelift, except that more skin is removed.
An “upper body lift” is a body contouring procedure that may include a combination of arm, back and breast/chest surgeries. A “lower body list” may include a combination of hips, thighs, abdomen and buttocks surgeries. Such combination surgeries prolong the duration of the operation. They can only be performed if the safety of the patient can be maintained. The exact combination of procedures to be performed will be individually determined by Dr. Doumit during a consultation with you at the Centre De Chirurgie Plastique & Esthétique De Montréal.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THE RECOVERY OF BODY CONTOURING SURGERY?
Following your body contouring procedure(s) after significant weight loss, Dr. Doumit will provide you with a compressive garment that will need to be worn for 4 to 6 weeks. The compression garment will tightly hold the skin in, reduce the swelling and aid in the natural tightening of the skin. A small, thin draining tube may also be temporarily inserted under the skin to collect any fluid that the body form during the healing process. The number of drains will depend on the procedure. In the recovery period, you may experience some moderate pain that is usually well controlled with pain medications.
Swelling and bruising may be present for up to two or three weeks after surgery. Restrictions include no exercise and lifting of five pounds or more for two to four weeks. Walking is encouraged, however no further exercise is recommended until full healing has been achieved. Most people are able to return to work two to four weeks after surgery, but people with physically demanding jobs should wait at least three weeks.
During the process of recovery, Dr. Doumit will monitor your progress regularly and will ensure the best results.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT AFTER BODY CONTOURING SURGERY?
Results of a surgery after significant weight loss are perceivable almost immediately. As the swelling subsides and the scars fade, results gradually become more apparent. This might take several months, depending on individual needs. The end result of a body contouring procedure may take as long as one year to be fully developed. Provided a stable weight and regular exercise, overall results will be permanent, along with visible scars from surgery. In the normal aging process, it is normal for your body to lose some firmness.
Follow-up with Dr. Doumit will ensure that results remain optimal and are long-lasting.
Before & After Photos
* Disclaimer: Those pictures represent real patients operated by Dr. Doumit. However, Patients results undergoing plastic surgery can vary from one to the other depending on multiple factors.
IS BODY CONTOURING SURGERY AFTER SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS SAFE?
As in all surgical procedures, a surgery after significant weight loss carries some risk.
Possible risks of a body contouring procedure include: unfavourable scarring, bleeding, fluid accumulation, infection, bruising, poor wound healing, skin discoloration, swelling, soreness, major wound separation, asymmetry, persistent pain, swelling, blood clots in the legs, numbness or tightness.
WHAT IS THE COST OF BODY CONTOURING SURGERY AFTER SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS?
The cost of a surgery after significant weight loss varies according to the complexity of the surgery that needs to be performed. Dr. Doumit will discuss the costs with you.