Post Natural Breast Reduction Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery
Dr. Doumit specializes in breast plastic surgery, breast reduction surgery, in Montreal. He will take the time during the consultation to learn his patients’ desire.
WHAT IS A BREAST REDUCTION?
A breast reduction or diminution, also known as reduction mammoplasty, consists of attaining a breast size that matches your body proportions and that reduces the discomfort and pain associated with very large breasts. Back or shoulder pain with bra strap indentations, irritation of skin, alteration in posture and limitations when doing physical exercise are possible symptoms experienced. The procedure is done using effective and perfected techniques to remove the excess skin and tissue.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR BREAST REDUCTION?
Breast diminution is a safe and effective surgery for:
- Women with enlarged, a size C or larger, and fully developed breasts
- Women in good health who doesn’t have a life-threatening illness or a medical condition that can hinder healing
- Non-smoking women because it can delay the healing process and increase the risk of complications
A consultation with Dr. Doumit will help you learn if you are a candidate for breast diminution and will help you understand how the reduction mammoplasty can enhance your breasts appearance while also easing the physical symptoms associated with very large breasts.
Wonderful doctor! I am so happy with my breast reduction. Pain was minimal. Any questions I had about the surgery were answered fully. Dr. Doumit always returned my calls the same day. After the surgery the way the staff and Dr.Doumit followed up was really amazing and I am grateful for the the way I was treated as a person.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR BREAST REDUCTION?
To ensure the best results from your breast diminution, preparation includes discussion about:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries.
Dr. Doumit may also:
- Assess and measure your breasts size and shape, the location of your nipples and areolas, and your skin quality
- Record your measurements in detail
- Take pictures of your breasts for your medical record
- Talk about your options for the different breast reduction procedures and propose a treatment plan
- Discuss expected results of breast reduction, with the potential risk factors and complications of the procedure
- Discuss the use of anesthesia during the surgery
The outcome and safety of this procedure is dependent on how open and honest you are during the consultation.
HOW IS BREAST REDUCTION PERFORMED?
Breast reduction consists of removing the excess fat, skin and glandular tissue through incisions. Liposuction may be used to remove the excess fat, especially if fatty tissue is the main factor in your breast size. The procedure involves two component: reducing the weight and size of your breasts and “lifting” them to attain a beautiful and youthful shape.
Dr. Doumit will determine beforehand the best technique for your breast diminution after taking in consideration your preferences, desired amount of reduction, breast composition and individual condition.
The techniques used include:
- Vertical mammoplasty, also called “short scar”
The incision is done by circling the nipple and areola area and extending it down below the breast vertically. The short scar decreases the scarring length by 50%, improving the cosmetic and making the breast rounder. The result is more natural and it avoids the horizontal incision under the breast. Women with moderately large breasts are the best candidates for this technique.
- Traditional reduction procedures
The incision is shaped like an inverted T or an anchor; it starts around the areola, extends vertically down, reaching the underside of the breast, and continues horizontally along the breast crease. This technique allows the reduction of volume, the elevation of the nipple position and the refinement of the contour of the breasts. Women with massive breasts are better candidates for this procedure.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
The breast diminution leads to long-lasting outcomes which should alleviate the pain and discomfort previously experienced and enhance your confidence as well as your body image.
However, the natural aging process cannot be stopped and weight changes, hormonal factors, and gravity associated with time and age can modify your breasts.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN RECOVERY?
It is recommended to have someone drive you home after the procedure and stay with you for at least 24 hours post-surgery.
The incisions will be covered by bandages (Bactigras) and dressings after the surgery, but you may wear a support bra in order to keep the swelling at a minimum and to facilitate the healing process. It is best to wear a sport bra for 6 weeks after surgery.
Dr. Doumit will give you more specific directives for better breast reduction recovery that may involve the following points:
- The dressing will be removed 2-3 days after surgery.
- Steri Strips will be placed on the incisions.
- You may shower after the dressing was removed.
- Pain is usually very minimal. Medication is prescribed to control discomfort.
- Follow-up appointment date
Before & After Photos
* Disclaimer: Those pictures represent real patients operated by Dr. Doumit. However, Patients results undergoing plastic surgery can vary from one to the other depending on multiple factors.
IS BREAST REDUCTION SAFE?
Reduction mammoplasty carries risks like all other surgeries. The risks are rare but possible and they include:
- Loss of tissue
- Uneven positioning of the nipples
- Loss of sensation in the nipples
- Inability to breastfeed as milk ducts are removed
Smokers are at a higher risk of developing complications and having wider scars due to poor healing.
Permanent scars after breast reduction are however more common. Overtime, all scars fade away.
WHAT IS THE COST OF A BREAST REDUCTION?
The cost of a breast reduction varies according to the complexity of the surgery that needs to be performed. Costs usually vary between 7000$ and 8500$.